I have always been a huge fan of a cooked breakfast. I just l-o-v-e poached eggs on a weekend! I have wanted to make a fritata ever since one of my vegeterian girlfriends cooked me one about 8 years ago (I know, right – for quite some time). Anyway this recipe isn’t one of those throw together types, it takes about 30-40mins to prepare + make – so you must be committed (hence the 8 years). But I do believe this recipe is definitely worth the effort. Hubby loved it + I found, to be quite helpful all day…just an observation!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 free range eggs
- 3 chorizo sausage
- 1 brown onion (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 400g tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 30g parmesan (crumbled)
- Salt n pepper (for seasoning)
- Parsley or oregano (garnish)
- Toasted bread (ie sour dough or ciabatta)
- Preheat oven at 180C
- Heat oil in a large sauce pan/frying pan. Add onion, garlic + chorizo sausages. Cook 3-5 minutes. Add tomato paste, oregano, cumin, paprika + chilli flakes. Cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Remove chorizo sausages and slice, add back into pan. Add tomatoes (I used a punnet of cherry tomatoes and 3 tomatoes, sliced) + chicken stock. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 10-15mins (until tomatoes are reduced).
- Pour mixture into dish (I used a pastry dish). Make 4 indents + break 1 egg in each indent. Crumble parmesan on top and bake for 6-8mins. Until white of egg is set.
- Remove from oven. Season with salt n pepper. Sprinkle parsley on top.
- Serve on top of toasted sourdough or ciabatta (I used garlic sourdough which I put in the oven at Step 2).
Just add coffee, enjoy!
Credit images | CC for seekdarelove